[BlueOnyx:23857] 5209r question about dictionary attacks

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Wed May 20 16:51:04 -05 2020

Mike,

I have a question regarding dictionary attacks to the sshd on my 5209r system.
In recent month, the former 25 kB daily "logwatch" started to grow to somewhere
between 300 and 600 kB.  Now, in recent weeks, it has gotten as high as 2700 kB.

We have set the ftp setting that only allows access from the US, but that seems
to have just increased the attacks in recent weeks.

While I should be pleased the BlueOnyx system appears to be holding secure,
is there possibly a setting I"ve missed that would deal with multiple efforts to log in
from the same IP block with different names and either time limit or block the IP block?

thank you