[BlueOnyx:24533] Re: Software Updates

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Tue Nov 24 16:30:13 -05 2020

Hi David.

When you update in swupdate, it will update the AVAILABLE copy of wordpress for new installs. There is a facility in all wham modules to also update at site level. However, some modules do their own auto-updating under the hood. If wordpress in this case is updating itself, you can safely stay with that without doing anything else. I would however recommend still updating to the newest wordpress via swupdate, to keep the newest available version available for fresh site installs.

As to your question of PHP versions, thats a little app specific. It depends if the later PHP will break things for your app. As a rule of thumb, updates to PHP within the same version “train” will not cause issues. Its only when you do a major upgrade that there may be issues. But if we look at Wordpress specifically, they generally update to work with recent PHP versions. Give it a try. If you have any issues, you can downgrade again.

GK