[BlueOnyx:24275] Re: 5209R logins - Some code archeology ;-)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Sep 10 17:49:32 -05 2020

Hi Ralf and Greg,

Greg wrote:
> Lets put it this way. I still have a copy of the original SUN open source release.
> You could probably find access to it elsewhere if you want to verify,
> but its always been that way.

I love disputes like that! Let's do some code archeology together and
let us see what dinosaur bones we can unearth. \o/

The BlueOnyx repository has a code tree for the old BlueQuartz SVN:

https://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/browser/BlueQuartz/

That in turn has an SVN checkout of the original sources that Sun Cobalt
released in 2003, but between 2005 and 2008 there were some changes to
that code that we have in SVN there.

RaQ550 sources:
https://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/browser/BlueQuartz/5100R

Qube 3 sources:
https://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/browser/BlueQuartz/5100WG

Now if you look at the Admserv's httpd.conf for the RaQ550 ...

https://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/browser/BlueQuartz/5100R/trunk/ui/base-admserv.mod/glue/etc/admserv/conf/httpd.conf

... you'll see the ports it listens to:

1047	Listen 81
1048	Listen 444

And if you scroll further down, you see that SSL gets turned *off* for
port 444:

1064	# ssl is on for the admin server by default
1065	<VirtualHost _default_:444>
1066	SSLEngine off
1067	RewriteEngine On
[...]
1079	</VirtualHost>

The actual SSL config is then done in conf.d/ssl.conf:

https://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/browser/BlueQuartz/5100R/trunk/ui/base-admserv.mod/glue/etc/admserv/conf.d/ssl.conf

While base-admserv has changed a little between 2003-2008 the relevant
stuff (ports and SSL) haven't. As far as I recall and not according to
the base-admserv's changelog:

https://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/browser/BlueQuartz/5100R/trunk/ui/base-admserv.mod/templates/rpmdefs.tmpl

Funnily enough the RaQ550 PDF manual didn't mention the GUI ports *at*
*all* as you can see here:

https://www.digicert.com/images/support-images/cobalt_raq550.pdf

Where else can we check? To be *really* sure?

Now I don't have a physical copy of the original RaQ550 OS Restore CD
anymore. Mine is warehoused since 2012 with my old office stuff in
Germany. But I do have the next best thing. Not an actual unicorn, but
almost as rare: An OS Restore CD for the "Sun Cobalt Control Station",
which was based on the RaQ550 and allowed remote management of all
Cobalt products. See attached image.

But the internet also never forgets, so there are still working download
links for a real RaQ550 OS restore CD in case someone gets curious. Are
we curious? Right! I take that as a yes! :p

RaQ550 OS restore CD: https://archive.org/details/raq550

Direct link to the ISO: https://archive.org/download/raq550/raq550.iso

Just mount the ISO, navigate to
/nfsroot-x86/bto-sync/production/4100R_1.270/rpms/ and look at the
apache-conf-ptlobos-15.noarch.rpm, which has the Apache and AdmServ
configs. They bunched them up in the same RPM back then, which we never
did for sake of easier maintenance.

The easy way to "look inside" RPMs (and SRPMs) is to use "mc" (Midnight
Commander). Fire it up, move the marker over the RPM, hit return,
navigate to CONTENTS.cpio, hit return again and you can see what files
and folders are inside and would get installed if you'd install the RPM.

The /etc/admserv/conf/httpd.conf inside is (in all parts relevant to
ports and SSL) identical to the one we have in SVN for the 5100R.

So port 81 for HTTPS and port 444 for HTTP GUI access.

FWIW: If we wanted to to back further than that, Archive.org also has
the OS Restore CDs for the Qube 3 and Qube 2:

Qube 3: https://archive.org/details/qube3
Qube 2: https://archive.org/details/960qub20101au

The Qube 1-2 and the RaQ1/2/3/4 had the pre-Sausalito GUI, but that also
used 81 for HTTPS and 444 for HTTP.