[BlueOnyx:24746] Re: EOL Centos 8? - AlmaLinux beta released

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Feb 1 16:18:43 -05 2021

Hi Chris,

> I've got a few CentOS 8 (and BlueOnyx 5210R) installs that I don't have
> a problem running the conversion script on.    But I don't see that the
> conversion script has been released just yet. So... whenever that's
> ready, I'm in.

I just rolled up a Package that unties 5210R from CentOS 8 and ties it
into AlmaLinux 8.

However: I see why they're saying it's beta and why they haven't
released an update script or procedure yet. It's just a tiny bit that's
still missing.

Their "Known Issues" for the beta say this as first item:

Our libreport/abrt packages aren’t integrated with the
bugs.almalinux.org bug-tracker yet, so a user will have to submit a
crash report manually. Issue: almbz#2.

Their "almalinux-release" has no "Obsoletes:" section for
"centos-linux-release" yet, so my Package pre-install script had to
remove that CentOS RPM manually. And also some other related RPMs. The
complete list being this:

centos-linux-release
centos-gpg-keys
centos-linux-repos
centos-logos
centos-logos-httpd

I then replaced them with these RPMs from the AlmaLinux beta repository
https://repo.almalinux.org/almalinux/8.3-beta/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/:

almalinux-indexhtml-8-7.el8.noarch.rpm
almalinux-logos-81.1-1.el8.x86_64.rpm
almalinux-release-8.3-2.el8.x86_64.rpm

However: Although a "yum clean all" and "yum update" then correctly runs
against the AlmaLinux repos in my case it produces a dependency issue
that couldn't be resolved:

Problem: cannot install both libreport-2.9.5-15.el8.alma.x86_64 and
libreport-2.9.5-15.el8.x86_64

There is a tether of dependencies going down like this:

anaconda-core -> libreport-anaconda -> libreport-plugin-rhtsupport ->
libreport-2.9.5-15.el8.x86_64

And their libreport-2.9.5-15.el8.alma.x86_64 (at this time) doesn't
satisfy that dependency.

So I think we should give it a bit more time. In any case: They've been
*really* fast and delivered an outstanding job so far. I'm sure they'll
solve this little outstanding issue pretty quick as well.