[BlueOnyx:24759] Re: Yum error "YumRepo Error: All mirror URLs are not using ftp, http[s] or file."

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Feb 5 19:35:14 -05 2021

Hi Chuck,

> I've been asked to help prepare a 5107R system to migrate the sites to a
> new 5210R.  I'm running into a few problems - and am puzzled by this
> one.  I wanted to update the system, so it had the newest versions of
> cmuExport for example - but keep hitting a error when trying to update.
> I get:
>
> YumRepo Error: All mirror URLs are not using ftp, http[s] or file.

CentOS 6 and Scientific Linux 6 went EOL on 30th Nov 2020. Shortly
afterwards their mirrors were shut down.

The BlueOnyx mirrors are still up for these deprecated platforms, but a
"yum update" will try to poll all mirrors that it has config files for
and it then errors out on the CentOS/SL mirrors.

You can go into /etc/yum.repos.d/ and can move out or delete all but the
BlueOnyx related repository files if you want to fetch whatever BlueOnyx
updates might missing, though.

> I've tried changing the repo location for Centos from the old
> "mirrorlist.centos.org" to the new "vault.centos.org".  But I continue
> getting that same error.

The URLs you specified might not be correct then.

In any case: For the migration you should not use CMU. Try to use
Easy-Migrate instead, which works a hell of a lot better. And this works
in a pull-fashion, so the source server doesn't have to have an updated
version of it installed. Instead you run Easy-Migrate from the target
server of the migration and it'll connect via SSH to the source server.
It then copies a helper script over via SCP, which is used to gather the
relevant data. If the target server is fully YUM updated, then you have
all you need to perform a successful migration via Easy-Migrate.

The instructions can be found at this URL:

https://www.blueonyx.it/easy-migrate