[BlueOnyx:24791] IMAP resources

Roy Urick rurick at usa.net
Tue Feb 23 11:01:37 -05 2021

Oddball question that isnt directly BO related, but figured somebody
here would know the answer.

Is there any performance difference on the server side between moving
messages to trash and flat out deleting them via an IMAP connection? If
so which is easier on the server? Or is there even a performance
difference?

I'm dealing with a legacy mail provider that for the last several years
has had performance issues with IMAP clients. Attempts to clean up
messages via manually run filters results in server timeouts, and the
mail client disconnects. (and then most of the deleted messages come
back) And by legacy, I mean they are no longer actively selling new
service, and only maintaining their current customer base. Its not part
of their core operations any more, just RMR.

Before, I would reach out to support and they would tweak things and it
would start working again. This time support said "Just use the webmail
interface" (which REALLY sucks) and refused to address the real issue.
So it appears that they are no longer supporting IMAP. (if it works for
you, great. If not, we dont care.)

So Ive already reduced Thunderbird's connections down to a single
connection to throttle it down as much as possible, but the server still
overloads and times out. I'm trying to put as little load on the server
as possible to make it work without causing a disconnect.

I'd love to ditch these guys tomorrow, but when you've had the same
email address for 20+ years, it takes a while to update all of your
other accounts that rely on that address. Just trying to buy myself time
as I migrate everything away to my own domain.

Thanks.