[BlueOnyx:24713] Re: New BlueOnyx server for mgirate old BO centos 6 server.

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jan 15 11:05:39 -05 2021

Hi Mon Chan,

> We plan to build the new BlueOnyx server for the migrate old BO server.
>
> Due to Centos OS 8 Linux EOL at 31 Dec 2021, and the CentOS-7 is EOL at
> 30 Jun 2024.
> So we how to choose OS for the new server? and the new BO will use
> CentOS 8 Stream instead?

No, BlueOnyx 5210R will most likely not use CentOS stream.

We're currently watching the development of alternative RHEL8 forks
closely and the two most promising candidates are CloudLinux's fork of
RHEL8 and the Rocky Linux project from one of the original CentOS founders.

However, both need time to get off the ground and it looks like it'll be
another 3-4 months until we'll be able to take either one of these for a
test drive.

We don't have to take any immediate actions, as CentOS 8 is still
supported until the end of 2021. I expect some time this summer and
after extensive tests we'll release an update for 5210R that unties it
from the CentOS 8 YUM repositories and ties it into either the repos of
the CloudLinux alternative or that of the Rocky Linux project.

> Another question for the new BQ server, we need to setup the webmail.
> before is using openwebmail, and what webmail good for new server? and
> the webmail support auto map the from email address after create users?

5209R and 5210R have RoundCube available from the shop, which is a
pretty good alternative. Once installed each Vsite will get it's own
/roundcube directory from which users can then access their email by
logging in with their username and password.