[BlueOnyx:24822] Re: EOL Centos 8? - AlmaLinux beta released

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Mar 8 16:35:06 -05 2021

Hi Ernie,

> Here is an article from Ubuntu talking about why it should be the choice to
> replace CentOS at the end of the year.

I can see why Ubuntu would say that. :p

I like Ubuntu and have been using the LTS versions on my desktops and
laptops for the last 10 years or more. It does that job well and I have
few complains (if any). And they mostly center on their idiotic update
policy (do I really need four kernel updates in the same week?!?) or are
UI related issues between major releases.

However, I can't see myself using Ubuntu as a server and I'd pick a
straight Debian over an Ubuntu for server purposes at any time.

> totally different package management system

True. I had started porting the BlueOnyx build architecture over to
Debian to crank out DEBs instead of RPMs and been working on that
sporadically as a low priority project. But that's something that's
still months off from getting anywhere near where it needs to be.

I've also toyed with the idea of stuffing BlueOnyx into a Snap to make
it more OS-agnostic (as it would run on any OS that supports Snaps).
While that may work, we'd loose a lot of flexibility as you'd be unable
to alter config files for daemons on your own. The whole innards of
BlueOnyx would become a hell of a lot more "hands off". Which gives up a
lot of flexibility and ability to customize for little gain.

All in all: Once AlmaLinux goes stable it'll be the OS of choice for
BlueOnyx 5210R and we'll transition existing CentOS 8 based installed
over via a YUM update sometime mid-year.