[BlueOnyx:24957] Re: BlueOnyx VDMK and VDI images

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat May 29 02:55:46 -05 2021

Hi Brian,

> Is there any advantage over using say the VMDK over creating
> a new VM and using the ISO? I assume the difference is just in
> the deployment?

If there is an advantage or not to this is perhaps in the eye of the
beholder. For some it could be more convenient.

The ISOs are 1.7 GB and the VDMK and VDI are around 5.2 GB.

I haven't timed how long an ISO install of BlueOnyx takes these days,
but it feels like 8-10 minutes when I install it into my usual test-VM.

Just attaching the disk image with a pre-installed BlueOnyx to a VM only
takes a few clicks and is then ready to run.

The ISO install is still the most flexible way, as you can choose
between different partitioning options, whereas the VDMK and VDI
simulate a 50GB disk with LVM and "Automatic" partitioning selected from
the first option of the ISO installer.