[BlueOnyx:25195] Re: RedHat 9 Beta released - BlueOnyx 5211R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Nov 5 11:34:28 -05 2021

Hi Darren,

>      Will there be migration guides available for 5208R to 5211R at launch?
> This seems like a way to resolve my Let'sEncrypt issues and help future
> proof our outdated system...

When 5211R comes out, Easy-Migrate will allow you to import from
supported BlueOnyx platforms to it. That means 5209R and 5210R.

I'll make no guarantees that you can still use it to migrate from 5208R
directly to 5211R, although it probably will work.

5207R/5208R is so long out of support that it makes little sense for me
to still take it into consideration in anything new I do.

And 5211R is still long in the tooth. We don't know when RedHat
Enterprise Linux 9 will be out. And we don't know when an AlmaLinux 9 or
RockyLinux 9 based on that RHEL9 will be out.

My guess? RHEL9 release is perhaps in February/March 2022 and the
AlmaLinux/RockyLinux 9 are released 1-3 months later. As soon as that
happens, I'll start officially releasing the first builds of BlueOnyx
5211R and ISO images for it.

And like any time a brand new BlueOnyx comes out, the first couple of
weeks we'll see various hickups and rushed "last minute fixes" to tackle
stuff that didn't crop up during testing wile it was still in development.

So best case scenario is that 5211R is out and usable in April/May 2022.

If you still have a 5208R running, then please DO NOT WAIT THAT LONG.
Really.

I'd highly recommend to use Easy-Migrate to migrate off the 5208R
straight to a new box running 5210R on AlmaLinux. It doesn't get any
easier than that and the instructions for it are available here:

https://www.blueonyx.it/easy-migrate

If you need any help with the migration, then I'd be glad to lend a hand.