[BlueOnyx:25211] Re: BlueOnyx 5211R development - commentary

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Nov 11 21:47:38 -05 2021

Hi all,

> I thought I provide some running commentary on the 5211R development.

Another small update:

Yesterday I mentioned that RHEL9 Beta doesn't have "php-imap" (yet) and
that the libphp.so.

I examined the SRPM that RedHat used to build PHP-8.0.6. It has
provisions for both libphp.so and IMAP, but they are disabled if built
on RHEL9.  The libphp.so isn't built to avoid incompatibility with
HTTP/2 support in Apache. And the IMAP support wasn't built because
RHEL9 didn't have "libc-client" available at all. PHP needs the headers
contained in that to build PHP with IMAP support.

With some SRPM donations and recompiles from Fedora Core 35 the header
issue was easily solved and I managed to build both "php-embedded" and
"php-imap" RPMs for the PHP-8.0.6 that's included in RHEL9 Beta.

So they are available if we choose to use them. We want and need
"php-imap" and as far as the libphp.so for the PHP DSO support goes:
That's still the open design choice that we have to take.

Other than that I spent the day chasing dependencies for "cpanspec" to
easily build Perl module related RPMs. I'm now +200 dependencies deep
into the rabbit hole and there are still more popping up left and right.

By now the 5211R YUM repository has gathered around 250 RPMs in two days
(most are dependencies for some stuff or other) and I'm just getting
started. :p

The good stuff: Most dependencies were easily solvable by just
recompiling Fedora Core 35 SRPMs straight on EL9.