[BlueOnyx:25592] Re: BO5209R GUI broken because of wrong PHP version?

Blueonyx Blueonyx at ceelie.info
Sat Aug 20 13:44:51 -05 2022

HI Chris,I love a good rant or roast. I happen to deal them out quite often. I'm not easily offended or hurt, too.You are right. I should not be ff'ing aroind with the system. My bad.Cheers,ArieVerzonden vanaf mijn Galaxy
-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------Van: Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet <cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com> Datum: 29-07-2022  23:23  (GMT+01:00) Aan: blueonyx at mail.blueonyx.it Onderwerp: [BlueOnyx:25563] Re: BO5209R GUI broken because of wrong PHP
 	version? EVERYBODY:Get ready for a rant.> I tried to install Twonky on the server, and the manual told me to install some php shizzle. So I guess that's why the gui is broken.> How do I get rid of the faulty php's and re-install the glorious BO GUI php version, plz?> Cheers,Over the years, we have seen a LOT of broken BlueOnyx (or going back a long way BlueQuartz, or even longer to Cobalt RaQ) that have been caused by admins performing manual installations or in some way trying to change the functionality of the system.   The big offenders are always PHP, email-related items like manual SpamAssassin (or the old Mailscanner), and shell crutches like Webmin.  The people that need to see this probably won't, but.... please stop doing this.  Or you get a "Linux expert" in there that knows nothing about BlueOnyx but will tell you all about how a Linux system ought to run.   Watch out for that guy, because he's going to break your server.    Think I'm wrong?   There are folks I know on this list who can attest but I'm not going to publicly shame them.   That would be rude.Look.   BlueOnyx, left alone, will do great at the job it is built for.   Hosting websites and email.If you want email tools, install a PKG from the BlueOnyx shop.   Don't try and make it something it isn't and expect it to work.    My best analogy for this is to think about the toaster on your kitchen counter.   It's a great device for toasting bread.   You know what's kind of like toasting bread?    Baking a pizza.    And if you're motivated enough, you can modify your toaster to bake a (small) pizza.   It probably won't do a great job making pizza, and it will probably also make pretty miserable toast now.    BlueOnyx is a hosting appliance.That said, sometimes you need to extend the functionality a bit.   That's cool.Need a PHP version?   BlueOnyx shop.Spam filtering?   BlueOnyx shop.Need to do CLI stuff but are not comfortable in the CLI?    DON'T DO IT, because you're not qualified.Sorry if that seems harsh, but honestly the folks that continue the development and support of BlueOnyx are only able to do so with community support.    Purchasing packages out of the shop and financial contributions to the project is the financial support that sustains what everyone is able to use for free.Nothing in the BlueOnyx shop is priced outrageously.   In fact, some items are a downright bargain (I'm thinking about you, MultiPHP and AV-Spam.)You can't afford it?   Cool.  Close down your server because it's clearly a bad business model and you're failing at it.It's just a hobby?   Fine.   When it breaks, you won't have any problem wiping it out and reinstalling from scratch.But you have something that's an old application and now it stopped running?   Update your application. (See the above can't afford and hobby responses, which will also apply to the common objections to the broken old application solution.)It's so easy to run a BlueOnyx server.   Just set the thing up and don't abuse it.    It rivals cPanel in the overall stability (which I say as a cPanel certified partner and technician).   It blows the garbage known as Plesk out of the water (which I say as a former Plesk Gold Partner.)    Install, use it as it's intended and simply enjoy.    Stop willfully breaking it.That's it.   That's the rant.    If I've gotten a little close to home for you and you're feeling hurt, go ahead and re-evaluate your objections again before responding.   But you're certainly welcome to flame on.I love my job and working with BlueOnyx.   I've been at this gig for most of my adult life and it's made (and continues to make) a good, honest living for me and my family.   I can very confidently say that when you host your BlueOnyx server with my company, we'll do everything possible to set you up for success, and our track record is pretty darn good.    That's largely because we follow the advice above.Yes.  I've got a bit of a raw nerve today.    Doesn't make me wrong.Have a great weekend, everyone!-- Chris GebhardtVIRTBIZ Internet ServicesAccess, Web Hosting, Colocation, Dedicatedwww.virtbiz.com | toll-free (866) 4 VIRTBIZ_______________________________________________Blueonyx mailing listBlueonyx at mail.blueonyx.ithttp://mail.blueonyx.it/mailman/listinfo/blueonyx