[BlueOnyx:25601] Re: Blueonyx 5211R development (cnt)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Aug 27 23:23:06 -05 2022

Hi George,

> Perhaps just updating to php 7.4 for now and maybe a gradual update.

I was thinking about it, but it would hurt us in the long run. The
difference between the CodeIgniter 3 and CodeIgniter 4 frameworks is so
big that the GUI for 5211R will be (in many parts) a start on a clean
slate.

Sure, there are plenty of code snippets from the 5210R GUI that I can
(after some modifications to make them work with PHP-8.1) re-use here
and there. But even the paths where the Framework and the GUI are
installed are now somewhat different.

Recall when everyone was on 5108R (the old framed GUI) and we offered
the big "yum update" to transform these into 5208R's with the new GUI?

That did lead to tons of problems. It worked for some. Others had PKGs
out of subscription and lost the GUI for the Shop packages until they
had a chance to get the latest versions for these as well. Or RPM
database corruptions or the odd RPM someone installed from third party
repos threw an unexpected wrench into it.

At least on the Shop package front we would have double the work (create
PKGs for the "old" GUI now and later on re-create these PKGs with the
pages for the "new" GUI). And the end users have the issue that after a
massive YUM update they still have to update the Shop installed PKGs one
by one to regain functionality they already have before the update.

Due to the newness of the platform the "old" GUI on 5211R would start
with some issues and glitches that I had overlooked. And once the update
to the "new" 5211R GUI is there? It'll sure come with the odd bugs and
glitches as well.

I'd rather rock the boat only once during the initial release.

Like I had said on prior occasions: As is EL9 doesn't offer us any
killer feature or "must haves" as far as typical BlueOnyx usage is
concerned and EL8 still has years and years of life in it.

So there is no need to rush BlueOnyx 5211R out of the door in a hob-nob
fashion. Let's do it right. Which means it'll have the latest
CodeIgniter 4 framework and will run on PHP-8.1

> I need to make so many changes to my websites for php 8.1 so I feel it
> will be sometime before I use it myself

Yeah, it sure is different. There are plenty of odd deprecations and
method changes in PHP-8.1, which I am not entirely comfortable with or
where I can't follow the reasoning that was given for the changes. But
it is what it is. /shrug

So ... clean slate it is and I'm now juggling code-pieces from the 5210R
GUI into the new CodeIgniter (again).