[BlueOnyx:25778] Re: Is the use of mod_autoindex.so still appropriate today? - fixed

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Dec 5 15:43:33 -05 2022

Hi Dirk,

> If no one else uses the autoindex either or everyone always turns it off
> right away. Then we could basically do without it.

I just looked at the code for this and see we were already half way
there. Just that the implementation for it wasn't entirely correct.

I just published YUM updates for BlueOnyx 5209R, 5210R and 5211R which
address the issue of "autoindex" and directory listings.

Under "Server Management" / "Network Services" / "Web" under the divider
called "Options" you have the checkbox called "Indexes".

If this is NOT ticked, then directory listings will now be forbidden in
everything under /home/sites/.

On newly installed BlueOnyx with the ISO's that I'm about to publish
this week the default for this will now be: NOT ticked - which means
directory listings will be disabled.

In the next divider below that (called "AllowOverride") you have
"Indexes" again and *that* defines if someone is allowed to change the
settings of "Indexes" in an .htaccess file.

So if you globally have "Indexes" off, but allow to change it via
.htaccess you retain the flexibility to selectively turn directory
listing back on for those directories that you actually want to expose.