[BlueOnyx:25826] 5211R: network problem after first reboot before initial setup

Juerg Sommer jsommer at emailto.ch
Tue Dec 13 17:59:39 -05 2022

Hi

Today I installes 5211R on a remote machine in a different network.
There I have network-problems after reboot after groupinstall and
initServices.sh.

I don't have the exact reason for this. Debug misc files shows me
/usr/sausalito/runonce/initServices.sh with this line
   HAVETH=$(nmcli -t d |grep ethernet|cut -d : -f1|grep
":connected"|grep eth0|wc -l)
That looks crazy,
nmcli -t d |grep ethernet
gives this output
eth0:ethernet:connected:eth0
cutting with "cut -d" can not get two more successful greps for
conntected and eth0.

But this isn't the cause for my problem, but maybe you want to check
this line/block anyway.

The problem seems to be
/usr/sausalito/handlers/base/network/rewrite-ifcfg.pl

This will create an incomplete ifcfg-eth0

# /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# generated by pperld /usr/sausalito/handlers/base/network/rewrite-ifcfg.pl
#
# 2.device = eth0
#
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
DELAY=0
PROXY_METHOD=none
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
DNS0="XXX.XX.XX.XX"
USERCTL=no
ARPCHECK=no

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 does not exists in server
install and also not after initServices.sh. So I can't check/fix it
before reboot and then my remote shell is lost. After
network-configuration with /root/network_settings.sh the file looks like

# /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# generated by pperld /usr/sausalito/handlers/base/network/rewrite-ifcfg.pl
#
# 2.device = eth0
# 2.ipaddr = XXX.XX.XX.XX
# 2.netmask = 255.255.248.0
#
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
DELAY=0
PROXY_METHOD=none
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
BROADCAST=XXX.XX.XX.XXX
NETWORK=XXX.XX.XX.X
NETMASK=255.255.248.0
IPADDR=XXX.XX.XX.XX
DNS0="XX.XX.XX.XX"
USERCTL=no
ARPCHECK=no

But in el9 this file is not longer required. Also in rewrite-ifcfg.pl
you will shutdown eth0 interface (and maybe it can't be started again).

Adding
`/usr/bin/nmcli con down eth0 && /usr/bin/nmcli con up eth0`;
and the end of rewrite-ifcfg.pl to force another network restart with
NetworkManager seems to be a valid workaround.

It's a one time bug on new installs, but when installing new servers on
a remote network without console access, that's maybe a problem
(poweroff and poweron will also solve the problem and then you have
network access and can continue on network_settings.sh).

Regards,
Juerg

PS: I use the BlueOnyx system for years. Before I discovered this
mailing list with active developer support I don't reported every bug
and was happy to find a workaround and patched local files (and checked
them after every update). I hope reporting such small bugs isn't
annoying to you. If you think a reported bug is to special interest and
you don't wan't to analyze and fix it feel free to ignore it. I usually
find a workaround that is quite sufficient for me.