[BlueOnyx:25848] Re: Real Time access analysis

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Dec 23 23:53:36 -05 2022

Hi Dirk,

> Have you ever heard of https://goaccess.io/?

No, so far I didn't. Actually I was almost convinced that log analysis
for the purpose of web statistics was becoming a thing of the past, as
most people who are serious about statistics use a self hosted Matomo
(formerly known as 'PIWIK') - which we have in the shop as well.

> This is a tool that can analyse log files on the shell, but also as a
> web site. Either once when called or in real time with the appropriate
> configuration.
>
> Couldn't this be a good alternative to the somewhat outdated Webalizer?

I looked at it and played around with it. It sure looks nice. I'm not
sure how much of an real alternative it can be to Webalizer. The "real
time statistics" of it parse the Apache (or Nginx) access log and can
present the results in a static webpage. Or you can enable real-time
mode, which requires to run "goaccess" as daemon in the background.

However: The statistics it then generates are then for the WHOLE server
and all Vsites. We can present this to users with the privilege of
'serverAdmin' under "Server Management" / "Usage Information" /
"GoAccess" and it might be interesting for some.

In fact I just rolled this into "base-sitestats" of BlueOnyx 5211R and
it's now part of BlueOnyx 5211R.

But this is something that we cannot (in this form) make accessible to
'siteAdmin' users, as it would disclose access stats for other Vsites.
So right now it's limited to 'serverAdmin' users as explained above.

But as I already mentioned: GoAccess can also dump out a static HTML
webpage with the statistics. We can set up a cronjob that parses the
individual Vsite logfile snippets from
/home/sites/<VSITE>/var/logs/web.log and let GoAccess dump out static
HTML statistic pages that we can then present in the GUI to these
'siteAdmin' users. These would then only contain the statistics for the
individual Vsite in question. Similar to like we do it for Webalizer or
AWStats on a Vsite level.

I'll try to add Vsite level GoAccess statistics to "base-sitestats" as
well during the next few days. Might not get done much the next two days
though. There are some weird holidays coming up, I think. :p