[BlueOnyx:25504] Re: CentOS problem

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Jul 14 14:57:34 -05 2022

Hi Ed,

> I have the sudden problem that, while I can log into the Blueonyx
> control, I cannot use the same login to get to the CentOS shell.

SSH via "admin" is no longer possible?

> One other thing is that now the user "admin" is gone from Blueonyx and
> cannot be used to log into the Linux shell.

The "admin" account isn't really listed anywhere in the GUI. It's just
there and usually works.

Could it be that someone changed the password of user "admin" without
your knowledge?

> This server has, for years, faced cracking attacks from "the East."
> Could those have succeeded?

That may be possible. Please contact me offlist with what login details
you have for the server (also if you have any other account with access
privileges of "serverAdministrator" or at least "siteAdmin" and I'll see
what I can find out.

Unless you *do* have another account with "serverAdmin" privileges there
is no real way to fix this remotely, though. In that case physical
access or console access via IPMI would be needed.