[BlueOnyx:25527] Re: Strange DNS goings on

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 24 16:33:53 -05 2022

I also do not play much with CNAMES (have dabbled a little) but looks like it is doing what is expected:
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3aautodiscover.flintevos.co.uk&run=toolpage

Note: should you be using the domain you have the cname for? As if you drop the Autodiscover, there would be no cname for just the FQDN, but only for the subdomain:
autodiscover.flintevos.co.uk

Eg:
https://dnschecker.org/cname-lookup.php?query=autodiscover.flintevos.co.uk&dns=google

I got cnames setup for a few who are using exchange365 and barracuda, they are configured and test results are the same as your domain. So you may be looking at the wrong issue here.

Regards
Brian

On 25/7/2022, 5:26 am, "Blueonyx on behalf of Office" <blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it on behalf of Robert at webtent.org> wrote:

    >We have customer’s IT guys having difficulty with CNAMES on our servers.
    >
    >If they use something like dnschecker.org it doesn’t return any CNAME records. Returns all other records.
    >
    >e.g
    >autodiscover.flintevos.co.uk
    >
    >If I look up https://dnschecker.org/cname-lookup.php?query=flintevos.co.uk&dns=google I get no result.
    >If however I use dig I get
    >
    >colin at Colins-MacBook-Pro ~ % dig @8.8.8.8 autodiscover.flintevos.co.uk
    >
    >; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @8.8.8.8 autodiscover.flintevos.co.uk
    >
    >;; ANSWER SECTION:
    >autodiscover.flintevos.co.uk. 3600 IN	CNAME	autodiscover.cloudplatform1.com.
    >autodiscover.cloudplatform1.com. 104 IN	A	51.140.78.157
    >autodiscover.cloudplatform1.com. 104 IN	A	51.140.253.155
    >
    >Anybody any idea what's going on?

    I don't think you're running the same query online, it pulls the same result as your dig for me when adding the autodiscover subdomain. Pulling CNAME for the TLD itself is entirely different.