[BlueOnyx:25421] Re: Newer Mailman version

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon May 16 20:58:18 -05 2022

Hi Rod,

> We're running BlueOnxx 5209R.  The version of Mailman is 2.1.15.  It
> appears the current GNU version is 3.3.5.  Is it possible to
> update/upgrade to the newer version?

No, sorry. This is not possible.

As for 5209R: Mailman requires at least Python 3.4, whereas CentOS 7
only has Python 2.7.5, so that's pretty much a dead end.

Why do you need a newer Mailman by the way? The one with the OS works
quite well and it's kept secure by patches from upstream.

Even 5210R (AlmaLinux 8) comes only with Mailman 2.1.29.

Fedora 35 and Fedora 36 finally have Mailman 3.3.4, but theirs has such
a tremendous list of Python3 related dependencies, that I have for weeks
failed to recompile it on RHEL9 (Beta) where at this time no Mailman is
provided at all.

In fact Mailman has become quite a matter of frustration for me.