[BlueOnyx:25434] Re: RedHat 9 Beta released - BlueOnyx 5211R development status

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri May 20 08:01:48 -05 2022

On 5/19/2022 10:45 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:

> Lastly I asked to name just *one* technical reason why an in-situ
> upgrade from RHEL beta to GA (production) wasn't possible. Other than
> giving third party developers the middle finger after having them beta
> test and bug-report their stuff for free.
>
> I'm no longer welcome there. Banned for life. :p

Goodness.   The whole thing seems especially odd to me.   In my
experience, it's pretty rare to lock a system out of updates like that,
but I suppose it sort of fits with the RH mentality.   For instance,
while most OS versions can be upgraded from one to the next (I'm looking
at you, Windows, MacOS and various flavors of Linux), that's always been
a bridge too far on RHEL.    Why they'd extend that to moving from Beta
to Release is a mystery, but whatever.

In the end, I think your analysis is spot-on.   There's really no rush
to get 5211R polished off when we have a pretty decent support ramp left
on 5210R with no compelling features in RHEL9. Honestly, I tend to view
5211R as a bit of a distraction at this point.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services