[BlueOnyx:25445] Re: Name server log file accumulation - fixed

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon May 23 14:28:43 -05 2022

Hi Richard,

> About every two months I need to empty /var/named/chroot/var/log because
> the 4GB /var partition is full.
>
> It seems to be logging name server lookup requests and quite a rate. I
> have Data Retention set at 14 days but these logs neither rotate or get
> removed.
>
> Is there a simple fix I’m missing or can something be done to either
> stop the logging or force the rotation?

I just published base-dns RPMs for 5210R that fix this issue for good.

Due to an error extended logging (an option in the "Advanced" tab in the
DNS GUI) resulted to always have extended DNS logging enabled. Which
then resulted in the absurdly large DNS logfiles. This has now been fixed.

Additionally /etc/logrotate.d/named-chroot.conf has been added, which
now performs a daily logrotate of DNS logs. It keeps no old DNS logfiles
at all.