[BlueOnyx:25447] Re: AlmaLinux 9 - BlueOnyx 5211R development

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri May 27 01:34:36 -05 2022

Hi all,

> I'm now converting a copy of the build box from RHEL 9 Beta to AlmaLinux
> 9, which will make the BlueOnyx 5211R development hopefully a hell of a
> lot easier.

Hell yeah. This is a lot easier now. Damn, the RHEL9 Beta was such a
cripple that it was really nothing but a colossal waste of time four our
purpose.

I now have an AlmaLinux 9 build box for 5211R up. This build box is tied
into the BlueOnyx-5211R repos that I had created with the RHEL9 Beta and
it's also tied into EPEL9 so that I can cross check if I need to build
something, or if I can grab the SRPM from EPEL9, rebuild it and stuff it
into the 5211R-OS YUM repository.

This far one of my biggest cripes was that I couldn't get the shell tool
"cpanspec" to work. RHEL9 beta didn't have it. On AlmaLinux 9 and EPEL9
it's also absent. FC35 and FC36 have SPRMs that didn't build on RHEL9
Beta due to a metric f-ton of dependencies being absent. The bottom half
of them being circular dependencies, where X would not build without Z
and Z would not build without X and Y.

This time around? Easy peasy. Grabbed the FC36 "cpanspec" SRPM and tried
a rebuild. Just *ONE* missing dependency. Grabbed the SRPM for that off
FC36, rebuilt it and done deal: "cpanspec" finally built and is now
working. That makes building SRPMs and RPMs of Perl modules a breeze. It
pulls everything it needs (including dependencies) off CPAN (or MCPAN)
and spits out and SRPM that can be used to build RPMs. This is such a
time saver that it's worth its weight in gold.

I'm now digging through the rest of the dependencies to get a full "yum
groupinstall blueonyx" working. That won't (yet) result in a working
5211R, but then I have a base install that I can work with to eventually
get 5211R running.

There is still one sour point: Neither the AlmaLinux 9 nor the EPEL9
repos have Mailman yet. I still might have to build that one from
scratch and that is a Python3 dependency mess that ain't funny. But it's
only half as bad as it was with the RHEL9 Beta, as the AlmaLinux 9 repos
have plenty of Python3 related RPMs that the RHEL9 beta didn't have. So
on that front I'm down to 15 primary dependencies that are missing.
There may be more, but this already sounds a lot more doable.

All in all? This is off to a good start. \o/