[BlueOnyx:25687] Deleting Aventurine Snapshots

Michael Aronoff maronoff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 10:59:37 -05 2022

I have 4 Aventurine servers and one has a problem where there appear to
be snapshots that are hanging around that should not be.

I have been having a disk space problem and I noticed that in
/vz/private/{VPS_ID} on there 3 OK servers there is just a root.hdd but
on the one with problems there is the root.hdd as well as many other
root.hdd (Snapshot_ID). Some of these other files are very large.

When I run a prlctl snapshot-list (Snapshot_ID) on the servers without
problems it shows no snapshots. But on the one with the problem it
shows:

PARENT_SNAPSHOT_ID                      SNAPSHOT_ID

            {8ea34399-eef7-43ba-a708-102ee9b08a10}
{8ea34399-eef7-43ba-a708-102ee9b08a10}
{335d5585-5ad9-42d1-8127-00eebed31981}
{335d5585-5ad9-42d1-8127-00eebed31981}
{ab1a9f3c-6468-4f6e-a6eb-f560c227a8e6}
{ab1a9f3c-6468-4f6e-a6eb-f560c227a8e6}
*{67f1a52a-817a-4efc-ba04-f56098f4865d}

and a new one seems to be added each night.

I spoke with Chris at Virtbiz and he cautioned against just deleting the
snapshots so I thought I would ask if anyone has seen anything like this
or has any advise to properly remove the snapshots without causing
problems.

Thanks,
M Aronoff Out – maronoff at gmail.com

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find
the harder I work the more I have of it.
   - Thomas Jefferson