[BlueOnyx:25631] Switching between sendmail and postfix on 3210R

Neil Watson neil at waterend.net
Fri Oct 7 13:50:17 -05 2022

Hi

I thought, seeing the discussions on here some time ago, that I'd try
switching to postfix, so did it in the GUI...

My mail gets relayed via a 3rd party who insists on connections via port
587 - which the GUI doesn't seem to accept in the Smart Relay Server
field. I'd put it in manually to make it work in sendmail.mc...

However, when sendmail.mc gets parsed, the port (in RELAY_MAILER_ARGS)
doesn't get picked up, so postfix tries to use port 25 - and the relay
won't accept the authenticated connection! Editing mail.cf  manually (or
via Webmin) to set the relayhost enabled it to work - until the file
gets regenerated automatically.

The other thing that's a bit of a pain is that it seems /etc/procmailrc
gets regenerated when I make the switch... I've got a different
procmailrc that calls my installations of clamav and SpamAssassin and
delivers with Dovecot's deliver  - so I can make the sieve extension
work...

There are other utilities (like the sendmail command) that seem to be
able to "soft link" in /etc/alternatives/mta* to either a version for
.sendmail or .postfix. What switches these links - as the GUI change
doesn't seem to have done it. Do I have to do it manually?

Am I doing things the wrong way round, or is this an area that could be
enhanced?

Thanks

Neil.