[BlueOnyx:25635] Re: MariaDB 10.9.3 and Active Monitor

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Oct 10 00:15:06 -05 2022

Hi Aaron,

> I just upgraded MariaDB to release 10.9.3 (not an easy process since yum
> update got upset, no matter which 10.x version I tried, about the
> 10.2.13 RPM already being installed). After running rpm -e on the old
> MariaDB-server RPM, I was finally able to install it cleanly and managed
> not to delete all of my data in the process. Now, MariaDB 10.9.3 starts
> just fine, but every 15 minutes it spontaneously shuts down
 >
 > [...]
>
> Anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Bonus points if you
> know why 10.9.3 doesn’t like using /home/tmp as a temporary folder (it
> says it can’t write to it, even after chmod 1777 /home/tmp), which
> 10.2.13 was fine with.

Upgrading MariaDB is a pain in the ass. Among other things: Every couple
of releases they change what the daemon process is called, so Active
Monitor has a hard time to detect MariaDB versions it wasn't designed to
detect.

Edit /usr/sausalito/swatch/bin/check-mysql.sh and adapt the "pidof" line
in it to detect the PID of the running MariaDB process and that will fix
the issue. Until a YUM update of base-mysql-am eventually will override
that file with a stock version again.

That is why it's best to use MariaDB PKGs from the BlueOnyx shop for
upgrades, as these will work just fine with BlueOnyx.

As for /home/tmp? In general MariaDB is now a lot less pissed off if the
paths aren't the defaults. For example we used to install MariaDB
databases under /home/mysql due to /var being too small for heavy duty
stuff. Eventually an update of MariaDB threw a wrench into that. A
Symlink or Hardlink won't do anymore.

So now we have to do a dirty work around of having the DB directory as
/home/mysql (as we want it to be) and then mount that to /var/lib/mysql.
I guess it's a similar issue with /home/tmp