[BlueOnyx:25639] Re: BlueOnyx 5211R development - progress report

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Oct 12 17:46:13 -05 2022

Hi all,

Another progress report on the BlueOnyx 5211R development:

The two most complicated GUI modules have just been ported entirely to
the new GUI format:

base-vsite
base-user

These two aren't the only finished modules so far, but they took the
most time due to plenty of complications. Most of the GUI pages of these
two modules use Extensions. Which are modular page snippets to insert
into main GUI pages in a modular fashion to display and handle form data
for individual elements.

The whole extension management had to be ported first and then all
extensions and next the individual GUI pages.

That also brought up some fundamental issues like the fact that the PHP
functions each() and strftime() are either deprecated or have been
outright removed from PHP-8.1. We used each() in a few ancient libraries
form the Cobalt days in a while <-> each fashion. Which was even slower
than simply using for(...) instead. That was easy to fix.

However, the deprecation of strftime() was a real bummer. I mean: COME
ON! Converting date and times from one format to another like from Linux
timestamp to a date formatted in German, Danish, Spanish or English
(etc.) is already an endeavor in itself. But doing so in the new
IntlDateFormatter() (the function that replaced it) is even more
ridiculous. <sigh>

I lost two days over that one alone, until I said "Fuck it!" and used
the composer-package php81_bc/strftime that replicates the deprecated
strftime() as closely as possible via a PHP Class.

With that out of the way the whole Vsite and User management is now
working in 5211R, including the more exotic stuff like ImapSync,
vacation messages, autoresponders and reseller management.

There are still plenty of pages left to convert, but these are mostly
straight up wham/bam jobs with simple forms and simple submit
transactions. So that should get finished fairly soon.

So ... it's moving forward at a pretty good pace right now.