[BlueOnyx:25662] Re: ip address server-access blocks

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Oct 20 02:30:00 -05 2022

Hi Ed,

> What is the best way to block an ip address from accessing the server
> and any vsite on the server? Firewall?
>
> I have the ip addresses from which attacks are being staged on vsites on
> my server and I need to block them as widely as possible.

There are a couple of ways and this also depends in part on which
BlueOnyx version you're using.

BlueOnyx 5209R: There you can use either "iptables" or "firewalld" for
allowing / denying access.

BlueOnyx 5210R: Uses "firewalld" or "nftables".

The easy way for both is to get the "APF" Package from the BlueOnyx
shop: https://www.solarspeed.net/apf.html

On 5209R this gives you access to APF, which has a nice GUI to allow you
to configure the IPtables firewall.

On 5210R that purchase grants you access to both APF and a GUI for
Firewalld. You can install both PKGs, but only one of them can be active
at the same time.

Honorable mention: You can also set a null-route that remains around
until the next server reboot or network restart. This works equally well
on any BlueOnyx version and blocks ALL access to or from the given IP
address range.

Example:

ip route add unreachable 5.34.207.0/24

Please note that you need to specify an IP address range there and not
just the IP.

The above example denies any access to and from the IP address range
5.34.207.0/24, which belongs to Spaceshipnetworks LTD in Kyiv, Ukraine.
These fuckers have been hammering brute force SMTP connections against
apparently any internet facing IP for months now. So I usually
null-route them just to be done with it. :p