[BlueOnyx:25669] Re: BlueOnyx 5211R development - progress report

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Oct 27 01:08:08 -05 2022

Hi Dirk,

> Concerning the phpmyadmin topic:
> I may have asked before. But do you know adminer?
> I find it much more streamlined than phpmyadmin
>
> https://www.adminer.org/

I think I recall that you mentioned it before, but I hadn't checked it
out yet. It looks interesting indeed. The downloaded version looks
pretty unimpressive styling wise, but I see there are plenty of
available themes around for it. It sure is lean and mean and the code a
work of art.

But I must say their comparison phpMyAdmin vs. Adminer at
https://www.adminer.org/en/phpmyadmin/ is a bit behind. phpMyAdmin 3.3.9
is ancient and the current version is 5.2.0, though.

 > and maybe the single sign-on is easier here too?

Yeah, I guess so. Just one look at their code tells me all I need to
know and would have saved me hours compared to phpMyadmin:

https://github.com/vrana/adminer/blob/v4.7.1/adminer/include/adminer.inc.php#L142

I'd need to included Adminer.php and simply call Adminer::Login() with
the passed username and password for the MySQL connection to perform an
auto-login. And if we don't have that, I could call Adminer::loginForm()
to let it render it's native login form instead. Which would also
directly set it's own CSRF cookie. This is pretty neat. I like it.

I'll consider adding it to the GUI. Either as an (optional) replacement
for phpMyAdmin or as an extra.

The thing is that people are kinda used to phpMyAdmin and not having it
or substituting it outright with a lesser known alternative isn't a
great move. Even if Adminer *is* better.

I'll think about it. Many thanks for bringing it to my attention again.