[BlueOnyx:25622] Re: Mail server problem with Outlook

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Tue Sep 20 10:47:20 -05 2022

We actually host mail on a separate mailserver not using BlueOnyx, but in
general it seems like bad practice to use bare usernames on a shared hosting
server.

What if we host mail for domains foo.com and bar.com, and we have a mail
account for john at foo.com, what if there is also a john at bar.com.  Sorry,
there can only be one "john" on the entire server.  So the second john has
to be john2?

Almost all modern mail systems use the full email address as the username
for login.  This is not the same as stripping the domain name.  Most
companies with their own domains will have a convention for email addresses,
like firstname at domain.com or initial.lastname at domain.com, and will not be
happy with the explanation they can't have their preferred email address
because someone at another domain has that username.