[BlueOnyx:26100] Re: Best way to have users securely fetch and send e-mail

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 00:14:41 -05 2023

Hi Michael,

Sorry for dropping in, I thought that the SQL DB users and/or DBs should not be on the destination, as I thought it stopped the SQL migration across if the DB or username already existed.

Was there a change?

Regards
Brian

On 11/4/2023, 9:44 am, "Blueonyx on behalf of Michael Stauber" <blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it <mailto:blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it> on behalf of mstauber at blueonyx.it <mailto:mstauber at blueonyx.it>> wrote:

Hi Taco,

> As you might have seen from my previous e-mail I discovered some of your very clear instructions myself, before reading your mail.

Very well. :o)

> Nice to see it has progressed so much lately.

Yeah, 5211R was a big step forward and the GUI is also much more agile
than it used to be. I implemented caching for CODB related transactions
and also a rudimentary form of indexing to speed things up.

> I will be indeed migrating from 5209R and wanted to see how I can make it as flawless as possible.
> Initially I wanted to do the migration per site, but maybe a big-bang scenario is best with some announced downtime.
> At least I can then retain the hostname as now all users use the server hostname to receive and send e-mail.

With "Easy Migrate" you could move the Vsites one by one, but if
everyone right now is using the hostname for email that would indeed be
a problem, right.

My suggestion: Use "Easy Migrate" to migrate to 5211R, but don't update
the DNS yet. Then take your time to verify that everything is OK. When
you're happy with the state of things, run "Easy Migrate" again and it
will copy any changes over that happened by doing CCEd "SET" or "UPDATE"
transactions and it'll also RSYNC over any file changes that happened in
the userspace - like Emails or webpage changes. It'll also
export/reimport the SQL databases to reflect any changes that might have
happened there.

That is another big benefit it has over CMU: You don't have to "burn the
house down" for this, as it just fetches the changes and applies them.