[BlueOnyx:26146] Re: BlueOnyx 5210R & 5211R: Two-Factor-Auth (2FA) - released

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Apr 23 22:12:19 -05 2023

Hi all,

I just hit the "release" button and the YUM updates that add
Two-Factor-Auth (2FA) to BlueOnyx 5210R and BlueOnyx 5211R are now
available via YUM.

The URL below explains all the details and how it works:

https://www.blueonyx.it/auth

As requested by Taco Scargo I also provided the option that SSH Root
Access can be configured with the option "Without Password". Which
means: Root can only login by SSH via exchanged SSH keys - if this
option is enabled.

These YUM updates also tackle a couple of other issues. Recently some
users reported that after automatic YUM updates their CCEd hadn't been
restarted. The issue for that has been identified and fixed on 5210R and
5211R.

An updated BlueOnyx 5211R ISO image has also been released, which
already contains all YUM updates as of today - including the 2FA
addition. That iso also fixes some installer issues, such as the web
based wizard potentially looping and claiming that either CCEd isn't
running, or that the network hasn't been configured yet.

I also tried building an updated 5210R ISO, but hit a snag with that. As
AlmaLinux 8.8 is about to be released soon, I'll wait until that ISO is
out and will then try again, because as far as ISO building goes that'll
be another major effort.

List of all code changes:

https://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/changeset?reponame=&new=4606%40%2F&old=4582%40%2F

What about BlueOnyx 5209R?

I'm now considering to add 2FA to BlueOnyx 5209R as well. Initially I
said: Why bother? With the EOL of CentOS 7 and 5209R being June 2024 (14
months from now) it might not be worth it. Then on the other hand: I
think it might make it even more important. After all, there are still
some EL6 based BlueOnyx running as of today (two years, five months
after the EOL!) and I guess some 5209R will also be kept running far
longer than they should be kept running. That's all the more reason to
shore up their defense ahead of time.

So: I'll look into that as well, although with a lesser sense of urgency.