[BlueOnyx:26388] Re: Internet issues

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Wed Aug 2 14:17:40 -05 2023

Hey, don't paint us all with the same brush!

Also, if you're a small local ISP, there are a million ways for the big guys to screw you over and steal your customers.  I remember from about 2005 to 2009 we offered "lineshare" DSL on Verizon copper.  They would "accidentally" disconnect our customers, and then offer to hook them back up same day using Verizon as the ISP, or wait 3-5 days for them to reconnect our service.  Lesson - never buy wholesale services from a big vertically integrated competitor.

I also wonder if things have changed since I lived 2 years as a teenager in South America (Argentina) in the late 1960's.  A small bribe was often expected in everyday transactions, especially if civil servants were involved, and wasn't even viewed as particularly unethical or illegal.  More like a tip here in the U.S.  (Which, BTW, is really getting out of hand.  Soon vending machines will expect tips.)

Whenever I think of Michael living in Colombia, somehow I think of Patrick Jane in the TV series The Mentalist, on an island off the coast of Venezuela where he can't be extradited to the U.S.  (will only make sense if you've watched it)  Or maybe Rick Blaine in Casablanca.  Don't be insulted, either reference makes you out to be a dashing chick magnet.