[BlueOnyx:26411] BlueOnyx: Sauce::Service updated

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Aug 14 17:41:48 -05 2023

Hi all,

In BlueOnyx all service related transactions are performed through our
Sauce::Service Perl Module. It allows us to check if a service is
enabled, if it is running and we can also enable or disable it or change
its run state. Like restarting or stopping it.

This all usually works quite well and Sauce::Service over the years has
already seen some overhauls and improvements. Yet one issue remained:

Ever since we integrated PHP-FPM a restart of Apache (and Nginx) usually
also entails restarting PHP-FPM. This creates a long list of service
restart requests and (sadly) many of them are also quite repetitive.

This has now been solved by a redesign of the Sauce::Service Perl module
and the respective YUM update has been published for BlueOnyx 5209R,
5210R and 5211R.

A longer explanation of the changes can be found here:

https://www.blueonyx.it/sauceservice-sauce_serviced

The gist of it is: BlueOnyx now has a new daemon, which persistently
runs in the background and which is called "sauce_serviced.service".

It handles GUI initiated service restarts in a slightly delayed fashion.

Say you save the PHP settings in the GUI and it may take between 30
seconds and a minute until all related services are restarted. You don't
have to wait that long in the GUI, though, as the restarts happen in the
background after all SET transactions against CODB are done. So once you
hit Save, you fairly quickly see the GUI page reload and show the
results, while Sauce::Service::Daemon is still doing its magic.

The main benefit is that Systemd no longer is drowned in a flood of
redundant service restarts, which enhances stability. Due to the
background processing of these service restarts the GUI is a bit more
dynamic as well.