[BlueOnyx:26637] Re: Interfaces and default routes

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Dec 5 18:42:25 -05 2023

Hi Darren,

> We are seeing that each time the server is booted, the routing table has
> the default ipv4 and ipv6 routes defined for all interfaces, when we
> just want them to be applied to eth0. So we have to remove these after boot.
>
> It occurs to me that if we were connected to two public networks, each
> with its own IP and gateway, we’d have no way to define both gateways
> without diving into the shell and changing the routing table.
 >
> On a slightly different subject, we have need to add ipv6_autoconf=no to
> the ifcfg-ethx config files

Indeed, the IPv6 autoconf=no should be set. I'll see to it.

As for the default gateway? In my understanding there should be only one
default gateway and that should apply to all interfaces. There may be
additional routes that direct traffic destined for an internal network
to the interface that the internal network is connected to. Or if
OpenVPN is present, there ought to be a route that allows traffic to be
directed to the private network that OpenVPN clients use.

But there shouldn't be two default gateways.

At the end of the day the routing on BlueOnyx is rather simple, as it's
designed to be an end-point and not a router. If you have complex
routing needs that need to be handled by the BlueOnyx, then that is a
bit outside of the scope that we provide out of the box. It can be done,
but requires some extra fiddling on your end.