[BlueOnyx:25930] Re: file listing in dir

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jan 16 13:56:44 -05 2023

Hi Tim,

> I have a client that uses FTP to put files up in a dir and then he
> points his clients to that dir to download the file(s)
>
> Problem is ...  his client now gets  "  You do not have permission to
> access the requested file on this server."
>
> How do I turn on "show files in a dir (without an index.php file in there)"

This feature in Apache is called "Autoindex". If enabled and allowed, it
will generate a list of files in the given directory - provided there is
no index.html or index.php (or similar) present.

We recently made this configurable via the GUI and the details of that
are explained here:

https://mail.blueonyx.it/pipermail/blueonyx/2022-December/062852.html

In essence:
Under "Server Management" / "Network Services" / "Web" under the divider
called "Options" you have the checkbox called "Indexes".

If this is NOT ticked, then directory listings will now be forbidden in
everything under /home/sites/.

But you can also forbid it server wide and just selectively put an
.htaccess file into directories you want to expose to the public. In
that case just put this text into the .htacces file:

Options +Indexes

That should do the trick.