[BlueOnyx:26338] Re: Backscatter / user not found bounce

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Sun Jul 2 13:04:28 -05 2023

Wait, that's an SMTP error code, is your server rejecting the email during the SMTP session, or sending a bounce email to the (probably spoofed) sender?  It should be doing the first one.  The second one is bad, I think the term is asynchronous bounce?

Are you using some sort of MX relay to do email filtering, so that by the time your BO server rejects the connection for no valid recipients, the outboard solution has already terminated its SMTP session and sends a bounce email?  Otherwise, I don't see how an SMTP reject would be backscatter.