[BlueOnyx:26368] Duplication of email delivery based on /etc/mail/aliases

Chad Bersche chad at bersche.com
Fri Jul 28 08:56:19 -05 2023

Since my switch to Postfix, just a few days ago, I've noticed that, for
some odd reason, I'm now getting two emails, rather than one based on
entries in my aliases file.

My /etc/mail/aliases contains the following line:

bjb:    bjb, chadb

I have a dedicated account for my elderly mother where she gets her
ebills sent to.  To make sure none are missed, I send a copy also to my
own account, with her knowledge.  This had been working flawlessly using
Sendmail: each account would get a (single) copy of each email sent to
that account.

I switched to Postfix earlier this week, and since then, I get two
emails delivered to the chadb account, but still only a single one to
the bjb account.  I suspect this has something to do with the different
way that Postfix handles determining if there are duplicates in a
delivery vs Sendmail, but I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out if
there's any way for me to stop this from happening.  It's not a huge
deal, but it's making duplicates that aren't needed.

Any mitigation suggestions are much appreciated!

   -- Chad