[BlueOnyx:26304] HTTPS redirect

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Tue Jun 20 12:23:23 -05 2023

I'm embarrassed to ask about an old 5208R system we have, obviously it is
seriously out of date.  So if you ignore me or yell at me, I will
understand.

I enabled SSL for a vsite (actually our own website www.kwisp.com) and
installed a cert  from a CA.  We have the site name as www.domain.com, with
webserver alias domain.com.

Web browsers use HTTP or HTTPS and get redirected or not, depending on how
the visitor types the URL.

www.domain.com --> http://www.domain.com  (NOT SECURE)

domain.com --> https://www.domain.com  (SECURE)

IPaddress --> IPaddress  (NOT SECURE)

I don't particularly care what happens when someone types the IP address as
the URL, but if they type www.domain.com, I'd like them to get
https://www.domain.com just like when they type domain.com.  I know there
are supposedly automatic HTTPS features you can turn on in some browsers or
that are on by default in maybe Safari?  But expecting people to customize
their browser settings it not realistic, and I really don't want visitors
getting the "Not secure" warnings when we have a nice OV cert.

I've tried methods involving .htaccess as well as editing both the siteXX
and siteXX.include files in /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts.  Admittedly I lack the
expertise to be messing with any of that.

Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong, or the easiest/best way to do this?