[BlueOnyx:26207] Re: LE stopped renewing

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri May 12 17:05:14 -05 2023

Hi Colin,
> I am using the following FQDN in the firewall rules:
>
> Letsencrypt_1	acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org
> Letsencrypt_2	acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org
> Letsencrypt_3	acme-staging.api.letsencrypt.org
> Letsencrypt_4	acme-staging-v02.api.letsencrypt.org
>
> But even when I allow 'any source' in the firewall rules still fails.

Yes, I would expect that to fail for 2 main reasons:

1. Unless the IP has a PTR bound to it AND the firewall is resolving IP
to PTR (it's not standard, and utilizes a fair amount of overhead) then
the rule is essentially meaningless for passing traffic.   So you'd need
to use IP addresses instead of FQDN. Except...

2. LetsEncrypt doesn't publish a list of IPs that would be used for the
http validation.  They have arguable security rationale for this but
even so, since they're using a very large 3rd party CDN for that
traffic, they probably don't even have the ability to provide a list.
And if they did, the list would be enormous.

So long as you're allowing HTTP traffic to flow freely, there should not
be an issue with certbot polling and then receiving the verification
call from LE's servers.   It seems that there must be something blocking
that HTTP traffic to get the verification done.   So long as that's the
case, the automated renewals (and new requests, of course) will fail.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services