[BlueOnyx:26256] Re: ISP SMTP credentials, how to?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed May 31 11:03:26 -05 2023

Hi Arie,

> So my ISP got smart and changed the connection mode to his smtp server.
> I've been using this as smart relay on port 587. Now I'm required to
> login using my ISP mail credentials and security=AUT.
> Sending mail directly from Blueonyx is sketchie as I do not have a
> static ip address and sometimes get a blacklisted one.
> So, is it possible to fill in the needed credentials somewhere in the
> GUI or am I screwed?

It is not possible (yet) to do this entirely via the GUI. But if your
MTA is Postfix, it requires just a few steps.

First do this in the GUI, all in "Server Management" / "Network
Services" / "Email":

Make sure that in the "Basic" tab your "MTA server" is set to Postfix.

Then in the "Advanced" tab under "Smart Relay Server" enter the email
server you need to relay through (the one of your ISP).

Save the changes.

Then as "root" and via SSH create this file:

/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

Add the following text into it, but change it to your needs:

[mail.isp.example] username:password

Run "postmap" against that file:

postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

Fix permissions and ownerships just to be sure:

chown root:root /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db
chmod 0600 /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db

Then edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and add the following three options to it:

# enable SASL authentication
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes

# disallow methods that allow anonymous authentication.

# where to find sasl_passwd

Then restart Postfix and test if it works:

service postfix restart