[BlueOnyx:26263] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: ISP SMTP credentials, how to? - Complete How-To

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed May 31 23:13:01 -05 2023

Hi Arie,

 > Outlook says it could not connect to smtp server

For sake of completeness here the full how-to again:

In /etc/postfix/main.cf you need this addition at the bottom:

smtp_use_tls = yes
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes

In /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd you add this:
[outbound.mta.server]:587    your_username:your_password

Edit /usr/sausalito/bin/custom-postfix-confgen.sh and add this at the
bottom of it:

postconf -e "relayhost = [outbound.mta.server]:587"

That will override the "relayhost ..." settings in /etc/postfix/main.cf,
which lack the port. And apparently for this to work we MUST specify the
port.

Then run ...

chmod 0600 /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db
postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
systemctl restart postfix

... and it should work. The change is "smtp_use_tls = yes", which forces
TLS and then we also only need one line for the authentication in
/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd and not several of them.

As this might be useful to have, I will probably add it as a new feature
into BlueOnyx 5210R/5211R which can be configured via the GUI. But until
that is ready, you can use this guide.