[BlueOnyx:26482] Re: Strange SSL error

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Sep 18 13:47:55 -05 2023

Hi Colin,

> We have a strange SSL error with email that has just raised its head.
> Been fine for years but may have been an update?
>
> We have a 5210R running postfix.
>
> A Vsite on the server has a couple of web aliases (historical combining
> of servers).
>
> The LE cert has all aliases and if using a web browser to access
> roundcube then it all works fine. Site is secure.
>
> Many of our customers are still using one of the aliases in their email
> client server address and have done for years.
>
> This weekend we started getting complaints of SSL errors when using
> email clients – the email client apparently returning the cert for the
> host server rather than the vsite when using one of the aliases.

This might be related to a YUM update that was published on Friday.
While working on a client server I noticed that he had non-working SNI
for several Vsites. The Vsites where it didn't work all had a single
FQDN which they responded to. And the Handler/Constructor that parse the
SSL certs to generate the SNI config files for Postfix and Dovecot so
far only parse the "DNS:" line in the certificates, but not the
"Subject:" line. So single FQDN certs resulted in a somewhat borked
email SNI configuration. The update from Friday fixes that.

To address your issue do the following:

Run "yum clean all" and "yum update" to make sure you have all updates
installed. Then restart CCEd for good measure:

/usr/sausalit/sbin/cced.init restart

If that doesn't fix it, try to renew the SSL certificate for the Vsite
in question.