[BlueOnyx:26483] Re: POP sent to IMAP sent

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Sep 18 14:12:08 -05 2023

On 9/18/2023 1:42 AM, Taco Scargo via Blueonyx wrote:
> Maybe a stupid suggestion, but why not use IMAP everywhere.
That's not a stupid suggestion at all.   If email is to be sync'd across
devices, IMAP is really the only logical solution
> You can then (maybe using rules) move any e-mail that is older than, say 14 days, to a local folder if you want to save storage space on your server.

Yes, that's absolutely a possibility.   For instance, in Thunderbird you
can set a message filter based on Age in Days, greater than, then define
the number, and select an action such as move to a local folder.

If that's even a requirement for you... server storage is plentiful
these days.   If you need a larger server to store your emails, let me
know and I'll price it up for you!  ;)

> What I personally do though is having Gmail pop the mail from my BlueOnyx server. Gmail offers me enough space :)

Ooof.   Now that's one I REALLY dislike.   Having self-hosted email
since 1996, I cannot imagine handing any of my own email over to the
likes of Google.   Once it's in their system, goodness only knows how
that's manipulated, sold or stolen.    I'd stay far away from that as a
"solution."   Perhaps I'm just not trusting enough of Google (and so
forth) to treat my data with respect.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services