[BlueOnyx:26489] Re: No clamd server appears to be available

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Sep 19 18:34:54 -05 2023

Hi David,

> Is there a fix for the No clamd server appears to be available?

Yes, AV-SPAM v7.2.7-1, which was released 60 minutes ago. I also
installed it already on your two servers as per the open tickets.

The issue is/was that Clam AV daemon binds itself to localhost. That
usually means 127.0.0.1, but also ::1 in case you have IPv6. However:
Since version 1.0.0 the official Clam AV RPM ships without Milter binary
and when you build it manually (like I do for the AV-SPAM) you end up
with non-working IPv6 support for it for some strange reason.

If the server has IPv6, Clam AV Milter will prefer to use IPv6 to "talk"
to the Clam AV Daemon. Who sadly can't or won't respond to IPv6. That
then caused the "No clamd server appears to be available".

AV-SPAM v7.2.7-1 fixes this by hard-wiring the bindings of Clam AV to
127.0.0.1.

While that ought to work, I'm still running into an issue on your
servers and am looking at that now.