[BlueOnyx:26491] Re: Postfix stopping and starting - and trying to run Sendmail

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Sep 20 16:05:55 -05 2023

Hi Neil,

> Having seen the other thread about mail problems, I've done the yum
> re-update that you recommended.
>
> However, I'm seeing
>
>       server1 postfix/master[103392]: terminating on signal 15
>
> every 2 minutes then a little while later:
>
>     server1 postfix/postfix-script[103598]: starting the Postfix mail system
>
>     Sep 20 20:34:04 server1 systemd[1]: sendmail.service: start
>     operation timed out. Terminating.
>
>     Sep 20 20:34:19 server1 systemd[1]: Starting Sendmail Mail Transport
>     Agent...

Your server seems to be unsure if it has Sendmail of Postfix enabled.
Only one of them should be running. Please go to "Server Management" /
"Network Services" / "Email" in your BlueOnyx GUI and see what you have
configured as "SMTP Server". Change it to the MTA you want to use and
hit save.

That should then stop and disable the MTA that ought to be off and will
enable and start the MTA that should be running. I recommend using Postfix.

> (PS Sorry if this arrives multiple times: I'm seeing a "Soft Bounce" 550
> 5.7.1 Rejected: 185.41.28.109 listed at rbl.solarspeed.info
> <http://rbl.solarspeed.info> from my mail server waterend.net
> <http://waterend.net>!)

rbl.solarspeed.info is my own RBL server into which I feed IPs and IP
address ranges that sent me SPAM, or which have other observed bad
behaviour such as brute force attacks. Most of my servers are using it -
including this list-server. I just checked and for one reason or other I
had the whole 185.41.28.0/22 (AS200484) address range blocked.

I just removed that block, although it might take a moment until it has
propagated to all my DNS servers.

If you need any further help with your MTA issue, please file a "Support
Request" via the BlueOnyx GUI and tick the checkbox "Allow access", so
that I can take a look.