[BlueOnyx:26763] Re: SSH

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Feb 25 18:18:30 -05 2024

Hi Brian,

> Not sure if this has been addressed already or not...   Just rolled out
> 5211R.  Added my SSH keys (don't allow password) and putty says key
> rejected no supported authentication method.  I'm sure something I'm
> overlooking but I use SSH key with putty and also SCP with it so any
> advice would be appreciated.

Please check https://www.blueonyx.it/easy-migrate and hit CTRL+F and
search for the phrase "more modern SSH".

The OpenSSH included in EL9 has deprecated some older ciphers. That
makes it impossible to SSH in from some older platforms, OS's or
applications. It works from EL7 and EL8, but if you try to SSH from an
old EL6 to a 5211R? It fails due to no matching ciphers.

Possibly it's the same with your Putty. In which case it might be
worthwhile to check if there is a newer version of Putty available.

Or (as the text in the Easy-Migrate documentation linked above
indicates) you can create the file /root/.ssh/config on your BlueOnyx
5211R and can add the following into it:

HostKeyAlgorithms +ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes +ssh-rsa,ssh-dss

That should then allow you to SSH in as "root" from the older server or
while using older SSH clients.