[BlueOnyx:26801] Re: Large cme-mailspool

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Mar 7 19:50:36 -05 2024

Hi Robert,

> On a 5209R I see a 43GB cum-mail spool created for a user box file of
> the same size. I noticed the modified date of just a couple of hours
> prior when the daily crackup finished successfully last night about
> 10pm. I see still in the process:
>
> 18842 ?        S      1:07 /use/bin/perl /usr/cmu/scripts/5209Rscanout.pl
> 25360 ?        S      0:00 sh -c tar cf -
> --files-from=/tmp/cmu-files.dat | pigz >
> /backup/data/4.users-dcoolidge-private.tar.gz
> 25361 ?        S      0:30 tar cf - --files-from=/tmp/cmu-files.dat
>
> The 4 file was the last file for the user that appears to have completed
> in the backup log with no errors and a reported size of 32427539843. Did
> this not finish due to size? Is it safe to kill the process and nuke the
> file?

At this point my recollection about how CMU works is a bit rusty, as it
has pretty much been deprecated by Easy-Migrate and Easy-Backup. But
from what I seem to recall CMU does have a checksum for the export files
in its XML.

So if you abort it while it is still exporting and then try to import
the (partial) CMU-Export somewhere? It may fail. At least for those
files that didn't export completely. It also may not have written out
the complete cmu.xml if you aborted it prematurely.

That part is where I'm not entirely sure, as I haven't used CMU in quite
a while, nor have I aborted an export run of it recently.

 From what I can see in your process list it appears that it's still
exporting and using "pigz" to compress 4.users-dcoolidge-private.tar.gz.

Means: It already has split the large tarball into four pieces so far
(there might be more) to make it more manageable. But compressing 46GB
with "pigz" will sure take a long time. It's optimized for smallest
possible file size and not for speed.

I for sure would go in an nuke ~dcoolidge/mbox, because nobody needs a
46GB mbox file. That's abusively excessive.

My recommendation: Either wait for it to finish. Or kill the export,
delete ~dcoolidge/mbox and then export again.