[BlueOnyx:26804] Re: Questions about host and domain name for system and logging on

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Mar 8 20:19:35 -05 2024

Hi Torrance,

> I install 5211 from scratch and put in something for example localhost
> for the name and localdomain for the domain name.  Later when I use my
> web browser to log in to the system by IP address, when I enter the
> credentials the page tries to redirect to
> https://localhost.localdomain:81/gui
> <https://localhost.localdomain:81/gui> .  I can then manually erase that
> and put the IP address back in or I can edit my hosts file so this
> happens in a sane way.
>
> Is this normal operation or am I missing something?

The PHP framework used by the GUI (CodeIgniter) needs to know the proper
host and domain name of the server it runs on and uses that for internal
addressing and redirects. That's why the BlueOnyx setup script asks for
it and why you shouldn't put "localhost.localdomain" there.

Otherwise any attempts to connect to the GUI will redirect to
https://localhost.localdomain:81/

You can fix that in several ways. As "root" and from the shell either
run the script to configure the network settings again:

/root/network_settings.sh

Or you can take a shortcut and just set the server name this way:

/usr/sausalito/sbin/set_servername.pl configure [FQDN]

Example:

/usr/sausalito/sbin/set_servername.pl configure host.yourcompany.com

Both ways will update the server name in CODB (the GUI's database
backend) as well as in all relevant config files.

Afterwards you should be able to access the GUI just fine, provided your
browser cache doesn't play tricks. If it still redirects you to
localhost, close the browser and open it again. That should do the trick.