[BlueOnyx:26834] Re: MariaDB question

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Mar 11 21:20:04 -05 2024

Hi Michael,

> I am running the stock MariaDB on my 5210R's and I am wondering about
> upgrading.
>
> I have BPOE subs on all servers and there are three options for mariadb.
> 10.4.x, 10.5.x, and 10.6.x. They all says for 5209R but I assume that is
> a typo in the description since I am on 5210R but thought I would ask to
> make sure.

Yeah, that's a typo in the package description - indeed. If a package
shows up in "Third Party Software", then it's for the platform you're using.

TBH: At this time I'd not recommend to upgrade MariaDB. The MariaDB PKGs
in the shop are a bit dusty and I need to rebuild them to contain never
versions of the respective MariaDB branches.

Once you have upgraded MariaDB to a never version there is no (easy) way
to go back. There are differences in the database formats that make this
a somewhat tricky proposition.

You could go straight from the stock version that ships with the OS to
the latest one, but once you do? The way back is thorny.

Unless you absolutely HAVE to use a newer MariaDB for something? The one
that comes with the OS is good enough.