[BlueOnyx:26844] Re: missing file? New Error

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Mar 12 11:52:49 -05 2024

Hi Michael,

> When I run either yum command I get the following as it finishes.
>
> grep: /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf: No such file or directory
>
> Any idea what could have caused that?

Yeah, sorry about that. A YUM update has been published that fixes this
small glitch.

I had finally isolated why some servers constantly flip-flop their
server name between FQDN (what it should be) and just the short
hostname. It was NetworkManager enforcing its dominance over such
things. And usually after the switch happened, our "swatch" realized
this and changed the name back to the FQDN.

So I modified "swatch" to check if
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf has the line ...

hostname-mode=preserve

... in it and if not? Then it should add it. Because that's what tells
NetworkManager to keep its dirty hands off our hostnames.

What I forgot: Some 5210R historically don't have NetworkManager
installed, because it's the last EL clone that still doesn't need it and
works without.

So on servers without NetworkManager "swatch" would throw that error. I
just added another conditional to make sure to check if NetworkManager
is present and if not? Then "swatch" should ignore it.